From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Patrick Leary
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 8:15 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Alvarion Comnet Radios have arrived

Jon,

With a proper channel plan that is just not the case, not to mention
things like ATPC. Things like WiMAX use it because there you are dealing
with small frequency allocations where every last ounce of efficiency
needs to be found. In UL that is not the case since there is so much
more spectrum to work with.

Please don't try to tell me Canopy's use of GPS is good example of UL
efficiency. We both know Canopy's use of GPS is more the reality of the
fact that Canopy is always talking and has no ATPC so the GPS is used to
keep it from stepping on itself.

And speaking about "efficiency," even the Canopy Advantage is a very
inefficient modulation relative to something like VL. Advantage, but
Motorola's own spec sheet, delivers 4.25mbps net typical, 14mbps max (to
1 mile) in a 20MHz channel. VL does over 30mbps net max with typical
over the air in an LOS environment being something like 80% of that well
over 1 mile.

In any event, there exist too many examples to count of scaled VL
networks with co-located cells say you are incorrect in your assertion
that VL can't be built in a cellular topology. It is a silly thing to
assert in fact.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.