Butch, with this list accepting my small excursion into what we do, the
system isn't a proxy and is not installed in line with any traffic but is a
1U rack NOC-installed box.  It must be associated with a router or switch
which has all the subscribers downstream.  Small slave devices, up to
hundreds, can be distributed if the provider has a multiplicity of
POPs...often the case when growth via acquisition has formed the ISP.  It
adds zero latency since no connections pass through it.  It has multiple
interfaces so can handle a multiplicity of simultaneous, even asymmetric,
paths without extra hardware...up to multiple OC-192 connections.

No client is required and the display appears on any targeted account's PC,
Mac, browser, etc., and passes gateways, cascaded NATs, proxies, or other
intervening devices.

The platform is proprietary and the RTOS is the same system that Cisco uses
under their IOS on their large new routers, QNX.  It's self-healing,
real-time updatable, failsafe.  It's a cool Real Time Operating System if
anyone is interested in a very fast, super reliable embedded system.
http://www.qnx.com/

I made a presentation in a major session at the last Muniwireless show on
its use in an automatic delivery of geo-targeted EAS alerts and
geo-customized content filtering in municipal type Wi-Fi environments like
would be desired around school properties, etc.  If that's not on the
Muniwireless site, I can make it available to anyone that would find it
interesting.

I've been interested in wireless for years...a ham, W8BZB for over 50 years,
sold my last company to Nortel about the time they started early Wi-Fi
products and got very familiar with it about 10 years ago.  We parted Nortel
4 or 5 years ago and started this company.

The heart of the system is an elaborate and gigantic message switch that
assures delivery of exactly the content (any HTML anywhere) to targeted
recipients' screens constrained to a tight schedule and the specified
frequency.  For example, a weather alert won't go to a sub out of the area
and won't go to a sub in the area if they start browsing after it's expired.
And, if they've viewed it, they won't be bothered again.  Subscribers are
very, very sensitive to disruption of their browsing context and won't put
up with anything that interferes with the smooth process of their activity
at the time.  It's taken a couple of years with millions of experimental
deliveries to tune it so that there is no grumbling.

Interestingly, at the last MAAWG conference, http://www.maawg.org, sponsored
by AOL, Yahoo, Microsoft, Ironport, etc., a discussion was very energetic on
the subject of control of network abuse.  "Just shut them down if they're
abusing the network" was frequently heard.  Then, several major MSOs popped
up and started giving examples of horrible consequences after shutting down
critical network access by putting the subscriber into a walled garden.  For
example, a subscriber had several PCs and a Vonage behind a gateway.  The
kid's PC was infected and engaged in a DNS attack.  They turned off the DNS
port in the modem...the Vonage lifeline and E911 went down and there were
consequences.  A polite communication (ahem) could have engaged the
subscriber as a partner in remediation.  WideOpenWest made a presentation at
that last MAAWG conference as how they control abuse without suspending any
potentially critical Internet service....using the yours truly product.  I
can find that presentation by Dave Walden of WideOpenWest if anyone is
interested.

. . . j o n a t h a n
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.perftech.com