>If you peer with Akamai, LimeLight, Google, Yahoo, etc you won't
pay for transit of their content and it will be fast... very fast.

Yes, if your performance problem is to those locations.
The problem is most transit providers already have good peering with them.
The reason to cache, is to improve speed and reduce bandwidth across transit to all the other many smaller sites you need communication with, that your upstream does not have good peering with. You are also making the assumption that the direct Peering connection costs are less expensive than the transit costs to connect to them.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Liotta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>