On Dec 28, 2006, at 8:44 PM, Patrick Leary wrote:

Ryan,

Why not stick with Tranzeo or one of the other legal (FCC- certified) brands?

Are you trying to troll? :) I am using all Tranzeo gear now. I am also looking for other options. I have 2 6500 series radios up at this site. They are currently sucking wind with 30 clients each.

I ask about the Mikrotik/Star-OS stuff as it appears that there is nothing illegal about them.

I find this analogous to my father in law building a kit Cobra in his barn. As long as all the parts fit together in a compatible and non- dangerous way then they are considered safe and licensable by the local DMV.

There's no need to go the illegal route and that includes even price these days. Plus, with a legal product you'll get the benefit of support and a warranty.

Even with support and a warranty I find myself hesitant to add additional clients to this setup. I see others on this list using these other products with decent support from the community and it seems, reasonable results.

I like the Alvarion stuff, I really do. But I have seen entire countys/states get messed over by buying a proprietary system and then the system creator suddenly goes under or "pulls a Motorola" and forces a multi-million dollar upgrade. I tend to shy away from proprietary equipment unless it is able to use standardized protocols (like Cisco's EIGRP vs IGRP routing. You use the Enhanced if you use all Cisco, but plain non-enhanced compatible with any other router if you don't want the wiz-bang stuff.)

Now. I ask again the last question: What works with the Tranzeo CPQ clients? Do you know? ! :)

ryan

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.