I happen to use his software, and assemble hardware from various vendors,
including him.

I am scrupulously careful to be within the 2.4 and 5.8 eirp rules ( well
under all limits) and don't deploy wild and crazy configs.   I suppose I am
"illegal", but then recently I visited a "consultant" who had a cisco AP and
1 watt amp and 12 db omni on his roof.   That was to overcome the WISP's
linksys (I think) router and 1 watt amp and 15 db omni a couple blocks over
on their roof...    To be lumped into that kind of wild and idiotic (and
very illegal) bunch is rather insulting, Patrick...

IF someone built a product that would perform anywhere near as well and had
anywhere NEAR the features, I might consider buying it.    As much as I am
intrigued by your VL product, every time I look at it, I remind myself that
in order to be even workable,  I have to buy and configure a router at the
customer's end, because as best I can tell,  the CPE is just a bridge as is
the AP, which makes a REAL headache at the remote sites where space and
power at an extreme premium and are powered by solar or wind or a
combination.    Another box that has to be maintained, another point of
failure, yet another box to configure and install at the customer's end.
And then there has to be a router at the AP end, complete with DHCP server,
or we do like others, and start screwing around with vlans, etc, in order to
overcome the essential features deficit built into things like VL and
Trango.

When you offer that $230 - $280 client that is certified and has at minimum
the following features:

Full routing.  (both client and AP)
Bandwidth control.
QOS.
Firewalling.
DNS server for client's use.
DHCP server (both client and AP)
Multiple network interfaces (just plug in the rf module for 1 to 4 radios
and already contains 1- 4 ethernet ports)
bandwidth or data transfer tracking
ping and other utilities
bandwidth testing from any point to any other point on the network
RIP, OSPF, OLSR, BGP capabilities

Then you may make things like Mikrotik or Star-OS obsolete.. Until then,
you're peddling a "half solution" to WISP's - or that's how it feels to
those of us who have built our networks on them.

BTW, you never did answer my questions about how all the neat RF features of
VL overcome, help, or prevent various issues.

You mentioned a lot of adjustments, but did not explain what the effect of
these things are on the things we see that affect our similar networks - if
you can muck with them, but they don't do what we think we need, or if we
don't understand what they can accomplish... then reciting the list amounts
to "ball joints" as an advanced feature of a Ferarri...

neofast.net - fast internet for North East Oregon and South East Washington
email me at mark at neofast dot net
541-969-8200
Direct commercial inquiries to purchasing at neofast dot net