I'm a Ham (a little out of practice maybe), and if my memory serves me, in an emergency, the HAM bands can be used however necessary, even by non-HAMs. However, organization is desirable, especially with large scale disasters like Katrina. Accessing someone's wireless router without permission is a different animal; a little vigilante. But if you save a life or something, who would fault you?
Jason

Jack Unger wrote:

Holy brainfade, JohnnyO.

Your comments about "highly illegal" just went STRAIGHT over my head.

What's illegal about Brian's emergency communications operation? Hams have been providing emergency communications services since (literally) the sinking of the Titanic.

jack

JohnnyO wrote:

Brian - Ham Operator or not - do you realize that what you're planning
on doing is HIGHLY illegal and has several people over the past 2 yrs in
Federal Prison as we speak ?

Why don't ya'll get a VSAT system that works well for VOIP ? The cost is
only about $60/mo more and you have no restrictions on bandwidth or
stupid filtering like Wild Blue does....

JohnnyO