I predict the little guy will end up giving all his subs publics and passing the ball to their upstreams, and probably-most likely for a price. I find it hard to believe this is not going to be an option.

We'll find out more Thursday when we meet at the Hoover Building in DC to talk to the FBI and Homeland Security about CALEA.

If anyone has any questions they want answered, nows the time to put them in print.

George

wispa wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:46:13 -0500, Rick Smith wrote

I think I'm going to be the first to say this, but
I don't have time to give a crap about calea. I'm taking advantage of an industry organization to do something on my behalf, because I can't have the time to give a crap later when the FCC comes knocking
after finding out I DIDN'T file...

I predict that somewhere around 80% of small ISP's won't file. Many won't even know they have to. Just think, EVERY block size network. If you build out for your neighborhood and have 10 neighbors... YOU have to fork out the big bucks, YOU are now dead. You just don't know it yet, because you have no idea on earth that the federal govenrment has just taken wholesale control of the ISP business.

Now, I run Mikrotik everywhere, and I've seen comments
about packet monitoring "being OK" for compliance, and
I'll STILL not do anything until I'm provided with a subpoena, but I figure having the paperwork THERE is
probably a necessary evil.

You can bet that any "industry" standard derived will derived with the input from the telecoms to bankrupt as many small ISP's as possible. I predict that in 2 years there will not be enough WISP's left to fund WISPA at all, unless the dues go up on the order 20 to 50 times.

This, in my opinion, is just big brother licensed
extortion for the little guys.  Paying a TPP for
snooping on your customers is just crap.  But, what
are you going to do ?

You're going to pay and then you're going to go out of business.

Mark Koskenmaki  <> Neofast, Inc
Broadband for the Walla Walla Valley and Blue Mountains
541-969-8200

--
George Rogato

Welcome to WISPA