George Rogato wrote:
I have wanted to buy charter and qwest connections, just to experience their network and see what the billing looks like.

Only problem is, if I was to buy their services, they would start telling everyone I use their service and not mine.
Having something like this is helpful for a number of reasons. There's the ones you mentioned (just being familiar with the competition), plus the more obscure benefits. Suppose some really key router on your network completely dies, and you need to figure out how to repair or replace it. Obviously, since this hardware is dead, you can't use your own service. Having a true backup connection to the Internet does come in handy from time to time.

Also, chances are you can't provide service to everyone that calls your office who wants it. If I can't help someone, and I know I won't be able to in the reasonable future (say, in the next couple years), I've got no problem explaining what their other options are, and it's easier to do that if you know what's out there.

David Smith
MVN.net