To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 6:44 PM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] MT Babble

Ok. I've said this before. On a home PC, I don't need to certify a Dell computer running Win2k and a Netgear wireless card to be FCC legal, so why is Mikrotik any different?

Almost everything computerized is ALL modular certified. What makes homebrewed any different? Is a Dell/HP/clone PC running Linux and a Netgear wireless card breaking the law? Does that Netgear need a cert for every OS supported? I remember this FCC modular computer battle in the early 90s.

Also, many brands of wireless cards actually ask what governing domain is to be installed, again not unlike Mikrotik.

I believe everything Mikrotik is running on as long as the components meet modular FCC cert , would be governed as PCs and not as dedicated electronics like Canopy or Trango.

In the case of a laptop running a miniPCI card, if the local Best Buy puts a different brand in on a Linux OS, did they break the law and should be fined for violating Part 15?

Is running Linux illegal by the FCC?