From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Hammett
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 10:38 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] MT Babble

On a volume of 1, I can get a 5 GHz CPE for $185.  IIRC, 100 unit quantities

were $140.  I can configure 2 CPE for a PtP.  I can have an AP that has 4
radios for about $800, plus cables and antenna.

I can configure 5, 10, 20, or 40 MHz per radio, two radios are required for
full duplex operation.  The 70+ megabits is with 40 MHz.  With the full
duplex operation I can configure the same frequency for all transmitting on
a given tower, allowing for major frequency reuse.  I agree that this route
isn't as spectrally efficient as Orthogon or...  I forget the new guys...
Exalt?  The XR5 radio has 23 dbm at 54 meg and 28 dbm at 6 meg.  It also
ranges from -74 to -94 for receive sensitivity.  That radio has been
certified with a 31.4 db antenna.

I haven't tried, but I'd imagine putting a similar channel size would result

in a similar number of collocated APs, though I don't know.  MT is different

than generic 802.11 in that it has the N-Streme protocol, solving many (if
not all) problems with using 802.11 in WISP applications as well as allowing

for a much higher throughput.  Star-OS has a similar feature.  Everything
else 802.11 is plain vanilla.

I have nothing wrong with every radio being MT.  You can use 900, 2.4, and 5

GHz (not 5.4) with any antenna (as long as the gain is under the certified
gain for that radio), allowing for any combination you could want.  The
exceptions to this that I know of are Orthogon's spatial diversity and any
sort of MIMO, beam steering, etc.  You can put as many cards as you want on
a given PC based Mikrotik system.

I am unsure of the innerworkings of the QoS.  I do know that I can
prioritize what goes into and out of each interface independent of any other

interface.

I would imagine that if it was certified with 32 radios, you could use 1
radio and be fine, though I am not fully aware of those specifics.  I would
assume that you could have both setups certified, and could then add the
second radio to the first, making it the second certified system.

Star-OS is the only system that I know of that has anywhere near the feature

set of Mikrotik.  What features is it missing?  They could already be
incorporated or slated for 3.0, which is in beta as we speak.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com