Sam,
Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear. If a "system board" is certified then the "operating system" is certified for "FCC" and of course your mini-pci was certified by the manufacturer. Now anybody can attach an antenna and have it certified. Total certification.

You have a Good Day now,

Carl A Jeptha
http://www.airnet.ca
Office Phone: 905 349-2084
Office Hours: 9:00am - 5:00pm
skype cajeptha

Sam Tetherow wrote:
For the record, I don't feel that you "have no credibility because you no longer run a WISP", I just don't agree with you and if 15.201-221 is your basis for the belief that a RB can't be considered under component rules I have to believe that you don't understand what a RB is.

It is NOT an intentional radiator which is what 15.201-221 addresses. A RB is simply a single board computer, the same thing as a soekris, gateworks or wrap board as well as most PDA (pre-wifi) and most laptops.

The only intentional radiator is the miniPCI or PCMCIA radio that is put into the expansion slot of the SBC, just like in a laptop which has a PCMCIA and miniPCI slot where I can install wireless cards.

I am NOT saying that with 100% certainty, the RB can be component certified, the question needs to be asked of the FCC. And this still leaves the fact that as far as I know none of the MT routerboards are even FCC part B certified.

This also does not address the fact that you still would have to use certified radio/antenna pairs in the SBC once component certification was verified.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

Dawn DiPietro wrote:
Sam,

Since some here feel I have no credibility because I no longer run a WISP I will let you decide from this information provided.

Starting on page 78 of the following link should explain why the wireless devices in question cannot be certified as computers.
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/part15-2-16-06.pdf

Regards,
Dawn DiPietro

Sam Tetherow wrote:
I think the question that really hasn't been answered is if a RB can be certified class B and then use a certified radio/antenna combo as is allowed with a PC/laptop. And you are right that then FCC makes the rules. What is not clear is that Dawn's (and others) position that the component rules can not apply to an RB or other SBC. The only people that can clarify this is the FCC.

As for FCC certification in general, I think there are two major factors that come into play with uncertified gear. There are several that deployed the equipment under the false impression that it was legal because they complied with the EIRP rules (and many still persist in this belief). The other is the simple fact that no one has been fined, to my knowledge, for using uncertified gear. There have been instances of people that have been fined for using over EIRP and unauthorized use of licensed bands.

If the FCC has not fined for the behavior yet and has made unofficial statements to the effect that they are more worried about EIRP and 477, it comes as no surprise that people will not follow the law. As you pointed out most people regularly break the speed limit, which is a law with an associated fine but they continue to do so because the fine is not large enough or incurred often enough to make it an effective deterrent.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

Matt Liotta wrote:
This has become a ridiculous thread. Dawn's customer experience is irrelevant in this case. Plenty of operators who have lots of customers (including me) understand and agree with the position presented. Don't kill the messenger! The FCC makes the rules; not Dawn or me or any of the other folks who have made accurate statements regarding certification. Use of certified equipment is required by law. Many people break laws for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't change the law. For example, everyday I drive over the speed limit and occasionally I am fined for doing so.

-Matt