To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Alternate transport providers, Cogent

Tom DeReggi wrote:
Cogent's performance is great 95% of the time. Regardless of what anyone says, when ever we see congestion problems, which does happen occasionally, the congestion usually happens several hops after leaving Cogent's network. I'd call this a problem with the other provider. It a complicated game, stategizing who's network will carries the majority burden and cost to backhaul the traffic the majority path. All I can say is, when Cogent carries the data the majority path, the performance/latency is better. We've had Cogent for 7 years and thats why we've kept them. Many providers meet their price, They are not just the lowest cost option anymore. Cogent tech support is also very good.

I think it is important to point out that Tom is connected to Cogent in DC, which is the one place in the entire world where Cogent is fully peered. The performance of Cogent in other cities will never be as good as it is in DC until the Cogent peering situation changes.

-Matt

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

**