One potential scare I'd see is... What would be the reason for need reaching
or keeping 5 referrals? Would it because some of the 5 cancelled before 5
was reached? What if the customer kept referring more than 5, but kept not
reaching it? You'd have to disclose to the referring client that your
service wasn't good enough to keep customers. Then they'd start feeling like
they were jeoprodizing their reputation by reffering, and maybe stop
referring or maybe cancelling themselves, when they call the referree to ask
why they didn't keep the service.  I could also see a referrer getting
pissed saying , they did their part, why should they suffer because you
can't do your part?

Another problem... People want to pay for service so that they can demand
support and quality. If you give service away, what recourse does the
referring customer have to demand quality?

If doing MTUs, another option to enhance the program might be to modify the
deal to.... Get Free service for life, if you get 5 tenants in your building
to subscribe to broadband with a 1 year contract.  There is a much lower
cost to taking on a new subscriber in a lit building.

Maybe a compromise would be better such as .... refer 5 people and get the
year free. That sweatens the deal significantly, but stills gives you a
reason to do good to get their next year's business. Then it also opens up
the door for more referrals. If someone is able to get you 5 referrals,
would you want to try and have that person successful at it to keep on doing
it?  What about saying the second year, 5 more referrals, gets another year
free?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband