Chuck,

Not to rain on your parade but... I'm a little confused on how 10.2 mbps is
possible w/ Canopy. Advantage series peak capacity is just for short range
customers, and a large percentage of the capacity can be voided by by the
farther out slower non-advantage CPEs. When Up/down rate ratios have to be
pre-fined (for syncing) that limits the radio from using the ful capacity of
the Radio.  Its one of the big reasons that we chose Trango 8 years ago
originally, so that it was infact possible to get full radio speed in one
direction  when it was available in low usage time, so we could quote higher
speeds to business symetrical customers.

Sure, if we consider 14mb real world advantage best case for Advantage
series, use all advantage series CPE, and do a 70 / 30 download to upload,
sure 10mbps peak downloads are possible for a single client, in that
scenario.  Provided that the WISP was fine with all other customers being
100% STARVED at the time the one customer was monopolizing the peak
capacity.
We tried that once, and it was a big mistake because it caused latency to
sky rocket for all the other customers when they first attempted to use
capacity, and the feel of the circuit because very bursty feeling. The short
pauses made it feel like something was wrong with the circuit. TCP could not
deal with it properly, it needs time to tune.  Because of TCP's reaction, it
actually translated to a slower experience than if we just gave customers
half the speed.  So.... My Points is....

Your concept of bursting a HIGH capacity for short periods is a sound
concept, provided that you never let one cusomer have ALL your bandwdith.
Headroom is needed. We found that if we let our customers burst to half the
radio full capacity, we could use the same technique sucessfully because all
the other subs were NEVER starved from bandwidth.

We tried pushing the limits, such as allowing  7-8mb out of the 10mb, but it
was to risky to do that because there were times when the full 10mbps was
not achieve, such as when link quality degraded and retransmission occured
do to RF packetloss, or when small packets were being used instead of pull
packet size. Customers would suffer with the effects of non bandwdith
shaping.
There was also some issues with how well bandwdith shaping worked on Intel
systems at 10mbps, as 10mbps speeds is about the peak speed before it exceed
Intel's interupt clock limits of 100 ticks per second, nor was common Fair
Weighted Queuing method able to be operation simultanoeus to trying to be
used with Burst bucket type queuing. (Unless you aren't using Intel)

So if we have a 10mbps HDX radio, we would sell peak 5 mbps services, and
this would allow us to deliver good non-bursty performance without delays,
and let us acheive high over subscription rates.  And if we had a FDX
imulated radio, that downloaded at 10mbps, again 5mbps would be the peak
speed we allowed in our bursting.

To keep it Real, With Canopy Advantage series, I'd highly recommend to WISPs
that they do not commit to offer peak speeds above 5mbps per customer. It
can result in severe degration at some customers sites that could be going
on, and the WISP never really know it if they weren't sitting in front of
the end user computers experiencing exactly what the end user was
experienceing.   And if you don't believe me, and want to push the limits,
maybe 7mbps, but anything above that... its getting risky.

That is provided that you'd be advertising Real Transfer Speed, instead of
gross over the air speed.  There have been some WISP that have quoted
"11mbps" for 2.4Ghz DSSS wifi systems that could only pass 3mbps, because
they quoted Hardware gross specs and not real throughput.  But in todays
world, that is gettign harder and harder to do, with the many online speed
test sites that are becoming common practice for end users to use to test
their speeds.  Its darn near impossible to get a full 10mbps speed test
result from these test sites over a wireless nework, and much easier to
achieve a 5mbps test, do to the distance, windowsize, latency variables that
can effect TCP's real world throughput. (For example, 64k windowsize at
80ms, will only allow about a 3mbps transfer to occur).

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not bashing Canopy... We have actually started
to use some Canopy Advantage series on our shorter range sectors, where
verticle pol was free. (because we can find them on EBAY cheap, with all the
Muni projects going south).  I'm actually very impressed with their speed
and quality of RF.  But I'm just sharing what we've learned with Bandwidth
management, since we've been doing it since 2001.

Maybe the Canopy 400series, can deliver the higher throughputs ?  I heard
Motorolla was planning on making a 5.8G model of teh 400 series?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband