On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Jack Unger wrote:

>Sorry Mike. I try to limit my time to responding only to serious,
>thoughtful comments. I don't normally respond to smart-a** comments
>because I just don't have any time to waste on them.

Ouch!  :-)

Has anyone done an RF propagation study in your area for the TVWS?
I just did a quick check in RM for my area.  I used the following
parameters:

10 Meter antenna height (both ends)
4W EIRP (1+3) Omni
Channel 51 (should be the "worst case" propagation)

Using the polar coverage, I am seeing over 16 MILES at -104 RX
sensitivity.  About 11 miles is -90.  At about 8 miles is the -80s
and 4 miles is -60s.

I will be trying this with a 10 meter antenna talking to a 100mW
device next (for indoor installs) just to see what happens.

The WORST problem I see with this is Fresnel.  It is NUTS!  Maybe
Fresnel problems are not as big an issue with this low of a
frequency, but if it is, I can't see using more than a 3-4 mile cell
as the antenna heights would be crazy.

Jack, care to comment on the characteristics to be concerned about
in this band?  IS fresnel gonna be a problem?  What about antenna
heights due to the 10 meter requirement (WHAT were they smoking?).

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *