I'm getting ready to deploy a number of NS2's in WDS mode and my only
concern is the routing protocol. It appears that the NS doesn't have
STP or another protocol which can handle complex routing between
multiple WDS nodes when they are all mutually associated hence
Ubiquiti's suggestion to avoid that and have all nodes in a star
configuration. That configuration might no work in my situation.

Is everyone running the stock firmware (AirOS) or has anyone ventured
into using alternatives which offer more advanced routing such as dd-
WRT or OpenWRT with Robin or olsr or ospf?

Greg