The fact is, the only things we're doing wrong, is allowing too much
subsidy, too many barriers to entry into the business, and too much tax
money to be gobbled up.

In all of these countries with so-called "great" broadband, how much is
ACTUALLY spent by the consumers and taxpayers?   Nobody knows.   I will
guarantee you it is WELL MORE than anyone pays here.    No, not the price of
subsidized services, the total spending divided by users and taxpayers.

What is the actual "return" on broadband?    I can tell you honestly,  that
with the exception of a small handful of my customers, the only "return" is
time saved, with no monetary returns.    For a few, it does have financial
implications, and they do earn or save money.    I'd say it was under 10%.
Now, that's RESIDENTIAL customers.    Business customers have a far
different viewpoint... And they often pay well more than residential service
prices to get SLA's, etc.

Subsidizing the residential users with taxpayers is both economically wrong,
and just plain common sense wrong.

But as far as the article goes..  We need MORE "free market" and less
interference.   Broadband would spread faster, not slower.   And be more,
not less, competitive.

But we have to recognize some things...  There are historically created
monopolies, and there are current monopolies, and these monopolies exist due
to force of law.   If there's anything that's held up broadband, it's these
monopolies.

Local and state laws often create monopolies by placing huge impediments to
new startups, or wireless deployments, and often absolutely and totally
forbid WIRED competition for phone and cable operators by offering exclusive
franchises.   The number of competitive wired phone operators is nil, for
all practical purposes, for a lot of reasons.   Yet, we have no end in sight
of the wireless phone guys competing for your dollar.

In rural America, far too much land is governmentally owned, and is the
single largest obstacle to wireless deployments.   Eastern Oregon, for
instance is hugely Federal, some state, and tiny spots of private land.
Trying to use federal or state land is just simply not feasible, especially
if you're provider #2 for a town of 2000 people and you're trying to be cost
competitive.   And Congress can't seem to figure out that handing out grants
to people who are experts at milking the sow in DC isn't cost effective or
in any other way effective.   Those who can, do, those who can't, get grants
or loans.   Not universally, but at least around here, that's the case.

Here is Eastern Oregon, we have one company that invested minimal money of
their own, but bilked the state for millions, and uses state money (mine, no
less) to deploy fiber to compete with non subsidized WISP's and other ISP's.
And, since their contract is written in a certain way, they use the LEAST
cost effective means of reaching people.   They get paid by the state to
waste money, IMO.   And are they friendly to being cooperative iwth other
ISP's?   Hell no.

Every time you offer public subsidy, you simply invite the taxpayers to get
screwed endlessly.

And we're ALL taxpayers.

If you want to lobby DC and get my support, then the following words and
this idea will NEVER surface in what you say... "Give us money from the
taxpayers".    If you want to talk tax breaks,  if you want to talk legal
classifications, if you want to talk about barriers to services, etc, etc...
by all means, do so... but you lose me everytime you say "we need money".
If you can't make the business case for it without subsidy or grants, IT
SHOULD NOT BE DONE.   Period.

And those poor whiny souls who bellyache about "the position we hold in
broadband penetration" can have endless bleeding ulcers over it,  they have
no point worth considering.

As I've said before... lots of people here are arguing that "since it's
going to be spent, get your share".   NO!

If it has to start somewhere, it starts with me.  I take nothing.  Zilch.
Never.  Ever.   Just do the right thing.  Eventually, doing the right thing
will be popular and can be sold to the saps in DC.   But it has to start
somewhere.   Even if it starts AND ENDS with me...  I'm doing the right
thing, period.

<insert witty tagline here>