>From your side of this it certainly sounds like you have the edge on
them in the long haul. Investor money will only last so long. I am
surprised it is still there at all if that is all that keeps them
afloat as you are implying. At this point I wish I could get a real
look at their books and compare to their model assumptions. It would
be an interesting story to read I think. I am sure I would learn
things.

I know that bloated mobile wireless business models seem to work for
some like Verizon and AT&T doing mobile voice and data. I have seen
fixed licensed WiMax biz plans that show a projected profit by year 4
with seemingly realistic assumptions. Whether the guys you are up
against are following this plan is something we just do not know. I
know that many models do not accurately predict churn, rate erosion,
penetration and competitive threats. A plan has to do more than look
good, it has to be right. I am guessing very few wireless models are
within 20% of projections after 3 years. After 5 years I am guessing
the model is more like 50% plus or minus at best.

What I see in contrast for most good WISPs is that they generally are
able to hold or increase ARPU, have low churn and deal admirably with
competitive threats. WISPs do not risk enough for their model to ever
really break. Most WISPs suffer in the penetration area due largely to
poor spectrum assets. This poor spectrum, non-exclusivity, low power
equates to poor coverage areas. It is hard to have good penetration
when you cannot serve people who ask you for service.

This last issue is why WISPA has worked so hard for access to TV
Whitespaces. It is one of the few things holding us back from more
explosive growth as an industry. I wish the FCC would get off their
butts and expedite getting us this spectrum with reasonable rules that
we have been lobbying for for 5 plus years! If they would we would not
even need the broadband stimulus plan to see explosive growth in this
industry.
Scriv