Hi Rick,

I applaud your effort -- I totally emphasize and understand your perspective,
as 8 years ago, I was a one man shop working out of my college dorm room trying
to get a business started

There is an unfortunate reality that the one-man band is not a sustainable
long-term operation -- for example, how will you ever go on a vacation? Or
spend quality time with the wife without the ever-present threat / fear that
lightening may strike...somewhere

That said, all is not lost -- the good news is that unlike most businesses, the
underlying business model of a WISP (e.g., the recurring revenue and ownership
of infrastructure) has a lot of intrinsic worth -- so even if you're not able
to scale and build an actual business (as I will outline below) -- you've still
created an asset that has value and can be sold

>For me, now as an owner/operator, good labor is the problem.

I would argue that this is the challenge faced by every business owner (small
or large) in every industry all across the country

And as Jack Welch says it, the answer is simple -- just "hire good people who
are A players"

There's theory, and then there's reality; and the truth of the matter is that
advice is as worthless as the advice my high school track coach would give me
to help me win the race -- "Just run faster" he'd say -- "then you'll win no
problem"

Duh

Now, back to "hiring A players" -- and a few cogent points that I've learned
with the 40+ employees that I've hired/fired/scared off over the last 8 years

1. We (the business owner/entrepreneur/key guy) are all A players
2. We just need to clone ourselves and then we'll have the perfect employee =)

Here's the kicker

3. Since we decided to work for ourselves because we didn't want to be "just
another employee" -- chances are our that if an employee is truly a clone of us
(e.g., an A player), they probably wouldn't be working for us but would rather
go start their own business venture

So, it becomes an interesting conundrum, how does one hire an A player when
none of them are willing to be employees =)

>I have
>gone through dozens of guys in the past two years but none become long
>term. It's not the pay because they tell me the pay is fair. The main
>reasons are the lost work ethic and personal problems, at least in
>this area.

There are a few things that I learned over the years that I think have
contributed to my personal and corporate growth...specifically

1. Although there are very few (as in 1 out of 1000) A players for hire "out of
the box" -- with proper bumper rails, B & C players can be made to perform as
well (if not better than) A players

2. To accomplish 1 requires the creation of business systems / processes /
culture

3. To accomplish 2 requires a great deal of overhead that only occurs when an
organization has significant scale (50+ employees)

That said, to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with going the one-man shop
route -- just don't kid yourself into thinking that you're building a business
and be happy that the beauty of the WISP business model is that you also
currently build an underlying asset (infrastructure and customer contracts)
that has a pretty sizeable and appreciable value.

And be happy you're not a consultant or a retail store =)

-Charles