Because one of the questions on any financial application is "how long have you been incorporated?". If you wait until you decide you may need to be, then yes they are going to want personal guarantees when the answer to the question is "1 year" instead of "5 years".

And I didn't say becoming a corporation is the answer to avoiding the PG's... but the other way around, you will never avoid the PG if you are a sole proprietor. ;)

Travis
Microserv

Tom DeReggi wrote:
The mistake many make is that they think they should incorporate to protect
their personal finance/liabilty from the business.
Well, actually, its the opposite. A business needs to be protected from
personal finance/liabilty. The government is smart enough to understand why
a grant or loan recipient needs to be protected from one's personal finance
and liabilty. Thus the need to be a LLC, Corp, or S-Corp.  Other than
simplicity, a Sole Proprietar does not offer anything a LLC and Scorp cant,
and for that reason, I'd agree, that if someone wants to be treated like a
safe sound business, from a financier, they should move beyond a Sole
Proprietorship.  I'm not saying Sole Propritorship does not have its place,
jsut saying, the second third party money is needed, the business has
evolved beyond the purpose of a SoleProprietor in my opinion.  The beauty of
it though is.... A Sole Proprieorship can easilly be converted to one of the
other type businesses at any time.

Also, Travis, being a Corp is not the only thing necessary to get beyond the
personal guarantee. From my experience, lendors have asked that the borrower
employ at least 6 employees, and show proof of their payroll in the
financial reports, and/or do over 1 million dollars a year in revenue, to be
considered large enough to bypass personal guarantee.  As well, many times
have asked for atleast three unique stockholders or principle in the Corp.
Its much harder for a Corp owned in full by a single stockholder/founder to
bypass a personal guarantee requirement.

I think this is one of the reasons sometimes small WISPs stay a Sole
Proprietorship longer than expected. If they know they dont meet the other
requirements to bypass personal guarantees, or to secure loans by business
financials alone, (revenue, diversity in ownership, # employees), whats the
point? They might as well make their accounting life easier.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband