Mike,

Since I began working, even as a teenager, I worked 60-80 hours a week
giving customers the best I could. I'm now 49 and still work at least
that many hours. At least now, I own my company and do it for myself.
In fact, before I owned my own company my reputation was "Mr.Service".
Heck, I've watched the sun rise from a customers computers! People
have always told me I have a great work ethic. I have always thought -
give'em great service and they'll stick. It's not true! Given the
opportunity, for less than $5/month they WILL switch without even an
apology!
So, dont get me wrong, I still give great service but have realized I
have previously given too much. All I did was take a lot of time away
from my family to help customers that only appreciate it at the time.
Again, I'm not saying dont give great service - what I am saying is
dont give away the store. Maybe you can afford it but every move you
make should be profitable, otherwise you will end up out of business
or in a poor mental state from work burnout. Have you ever looked at
the competition knowing you give better service yet they are still
winning? In fact, I've seen more people respect the competition
because they are higher priced or charge for everything. It is truly a
mindset. I believe there is a balance that must constantly be
maintained. Which is why I asked the question, billable or not?
Again, your business model may be different but using you scenario
below is difficult to achieve in mine. Perhaps your monthly rates are
higher, installation higher, or your bottom line is not as important
to you? Somebody always has to pay the piper. Most people understand
capitolism and the need to be profitable so you can pay the bills.
What good is it to go out of business just so they can go back to dial
up?
Furthermore, I have found another interesting outcome by giving work
away - other customers either come to expect it or get jealous.
What is really expected by the customers who give you their hard
earned money is a good product for what they pay. They also deserve an
efficiently run company with proper business practices to get the most
bang for their bucks. And on that note, isnt there always something to
do to improve the network? Why give so much time to one customer when
you can work on the network and improve it for all? I realzie you said
minor things but it all adds up. What they should expect is exactly
what you put in the contract and/or TOS. In my case, it's the
bandwidth I promised them and working equipment to get it there. All
else is not part of the contract and therefore should be billable.

-RickG