Mike,

First, take everything I saw about this with a grain of salt, because
I'm no expert.

 From my reading of the R&O, there are two types of whitespace device.
There is a low power version, that I think is intended to be like a
mini-PCI card, installed in a laptop. There are no height restrictions
on that.

Probably of more interest to us are the higher power devices (up to 4
watts, I think). Those are limited to antenna heights between 10 and
30 meters. I don't think the AP is special, it also has to be minimum
10m high. So it couldn't be on the ground.

Personally, I wonder about this 10m minimum. Since all the devices are
networked, I would argue that maybe 50% of an APs clients could be
lower. One of the higher radios could pick up a new tv signal and
force the whole AP to move channels. That would avoid the silly
looking large antenna 15' above a single story ranch house roof.
Perhaps if this stuff takes off, we could argue for that in the
future.  (or maybe I'm all wrong, since I'm more a software guy)
-John