Are you suggesting some sort of metric to say they are over-using
service and to move to a higher usage service?  We have been "All you
can eat" for years but we are at a point where demand is driving
upgrades.  I have always called the customer that used double what the
norm was and explained that we are a small company and that we are doing
this because there are no other options...don't abuse it.  We are
currently switching out equipment on busy towers because of the traffic
we are seeing.  Now business wise, it was probably my mistake or
underestimation that I chose it, but it served a purpose and made money.

I have been looking at the explosive growth of technology and for me to
replace equipment every time something changes, or a better product
comes out, that doesn't make any financial sense because we will never
make money.  If busy towers have overage charges, that drives "extra"
revenue that can be used directly for the benefit of all customers.
(that's my logic)

Look at the cellular industry.  They were metered...$XX dollars for YY
minutes and $.ZZ for overage fees.  They then created a "Unlimited" plan
that is double if not triple the cost.  It is still a tiered plan and
that is totally an option.

My thoughts are the following:

$30/mo 768K ...Cap of 20 Gig

$40/mo 1.5M ...Cap of 40 Gig

$50/mo 3.0M ...Cap of 60 Gig

$150/mo 3.0M ...Unlimited

$1/Gig overage fee

AND any previous plan will not exceed the $150 cap.

If the plans won't touch 95% of the customers, there is no threat.  It
is those that are bandwidth hogs that are usually the ones that will
drop you or complain.

Plus, it will allow the customer to chose to move up as you suggested,
to a faster/higher cap plan.

Eric