From: Travis Johnson
To: WISPA General List
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Metered Billing

Marlon,

With thousands of wireless users, I think our "unlimited eat all you want"
is working quite well. And I can say we have 5 or 6 competitors (DSL,
wireless, cable, licensed Wimax, etc.) so there is no monopoly. You are
brining in $1k extra per month... but it would be interesting to see how
much "extra" time is being spent on that system... including the billing,
phone calls, tracking, analyzing, etc.

You would be better off to just "upgrade" those higher usage customers to a
more expensive monthly plan, and stop worrying about billing for overage.
You would make more "profit" each month by doing so.

Travis
Microserv

Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
http://www.odessaoffice.com/services.html

We've done this for years.  Brandon Checkalets built the software that we
use.

We bill on usage.  Lowish base price, but relatively high overage fees.  We
bill out about $1k per month in overages.

Our average customer does about 4 gigs per month.

We have lost a few customers due to this.  But they are net negative
customers so I don't mind.  After all, there are two main goals in business.
One, turn a profit, two, make sure your competition doesn't.  Loosing
someone that's pulling 20+ gigs per month certainly isn't helping my
competition's services at all!

We just compare the billing mechanism to things people are already paying as
they go.  Stuff like gas, food, electricity, cell phone minutes, clothes,
water, tires, um, everything else in life!  If they are really sharp I'll
explain how the all you can eat all of the time only works if there is a
monopoly with artificially high prices for everyone else.
marlon