  From: Cameron Crum
  To: WISPA General List
  Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 5:56 PM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] [WISPA Members] Health Insurance

  Negotiate directly with your doctor or the hospital. I've been cash pay for
years. About a year and a half ago, my then 2 year old got outside un-noticed
and fell into our pool. He was at the bottom when we found him and my wife,
being a trained lifegaurd, was able to perform cpr and get his pulse and breath
back. That combined with the cold temperature of the water (early december),
and the grace of God left him with no brain damage or permanent problems. Our
trip to the ermergency room plus overnight stay in the hospital was more than
$12,000. I negotiated with the hospital, the doctors, and the ambulance company
(all different bills) to get my bill down to less than $5000. It took about 1
hour of my time. Had I had insurance, I would have had to pay the full $5000 or
$10000 deductable. So in this case it worked out for me. My family is
extrememly healthy. Our kids go to the doctor maybe once a year and I can't
remember the last time I saw a doctor. My wife just had arthoscopic surgurery
on knee in the spring and agian, paying cash, I walked away with about a 50%
dicount. As we get older, I'll probably consider getting insurance as age
typically means more trips to the doc. and on average it will become cheaper to
pay the insurance bills than to fund it in cash. I don't know what age that
will be, but I'll keep you guys posted...

  Cameron