Mike,

I did the same thing back in the dialup days - Excel, Access database,
QuickBooks memorized transactions, etc etc.    QuickBooks kept getting
slower and we started to have problems with inconsistencies between all
of the systems (people not getting billed, delinquent accounts that were
still online, random jumble of email addresses, not knowing who they
went to, etc etc) so we made a change when we were at about 600
customers in early 1998.   By the end of 2001, we were billing over
4000.   Having a robust and extensible backend system is critical if you
are going to scale the business to an appreciable size.

If you are only billing a couple of hundred customers, you can get away
with QuickBooks and/or Excel and the like.   Grow beyond that, and you
better start looking for a good backend system.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com