Coming from enterprise & wireline side of the business. Let me share
with you something that we have seen with most of our customers.

I personally think that 'providing' a router as part of a 'managed'
service is a much better business proposition for ISP/NSP/WISP's than
'selling' them a router. (Again a bunch of If's And's or But's Apply).

We have consistently found that 80% to 90 % of business customer will
take us up on Managed Router Service for $50 to $75/month than to
purchase and maintain their own router.

We make the deal sweeter, by offering, 24x7 Monitoring, Free
Configuration Changes, and ON-Site Replacement in-case of something
going poof.

Typically with such a service, the client is no longer concerned about
the Brand or Model of the Router, they prefer to see the CISCO name on
the box, that is visible in their computer room....

Having said that, we have a number of 2600 Series Routers out in field
as part of Managed Router Service, connected to T1's. These go for song
on the secondary markets.

The value proposition for the Customers is Very High on this, most of
them really don't care so about the latest and greatest, the folks who
write the checks are only interested in knowing .... "IF there is a
Problem, You are going to make the problem go away" ... and the only
thing I will have to pay for is the Monthly Manged Service Charge !

Customers are Happy, We are Happy......

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom