As I said myself windows is suicide.. If you want an easy to use solution
for bandwidth management I'd check out
a used packeteer from ebay first.. We origionally bought 3 45meg
packetshaper 4500's for our network "from ebay"
and they worked very well for over 5 years, however our billing system now
has integration with mikrotik router os so we use it now..

Ryan

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Forbes Mercy
<forbes.me...@wabroadband.com>wrote:

>  Really Josh, you want me to rehash this?  To be simple I'm not a true
> geek, I barely speak linux and Router OS not at all.  Our network of 700
> over 12 towers is bridged, a big no-no but I can't keep radios up long
> enough to make us routed along with the growth sprut we've had this year (we
> 're averaging 3 installs a day with one installer/field tech).  We've found
> that if you get over 50 on Mikrotik you start getting latency issues, four
> of our towers have over that.  When I was all Mikrotik (well 90% that 10%
> Moto) it worked great for about a year and a half, then the packet storms
> started, then radios started doing weird intermittent things like turning
> off.  Sure we did the obvious, change passwords, isolate the radios from the
> rest of the network but it just started to get worse, probably traffic
> driven from our ongoing growth that the greater demand for more bandwidth
> (we are 90% residential so Netflix type stuff).
>
> To solve this we started replacing backhauls with Ubiquiti radios.
> Ubiquiti allows more traffic so the added pressure really started to take
> down the Mikrotik AP's, ports and bridges now drop with undiagnoisable (new
> word) regularity.  Then the bandwidth manager failed, Butch rebuilt it but
> for some reason the upgrade to 4.11 made failures happen more often that
> were like the AP's, dropped ports and bridges.  We compensated by making a
> path on the Ethernet side and in-network side so we could maybe ... (fix the
> disabled port/bridge) from either end.  We are spending all of our time
> building redundant this and redundant that until we realized one thing, on
> every outage Mikrotik's had cascading failures shutting down ports or
> turning off radios (disabling)  meanwhile Ubiquiti never went down, ever.
> So we started pulling all Mikrotik backhauls, now we only lose AP's and the
> bandwidth manager.  Since the bandwidth manager takes the entire network
> down we want replace it.  Now you're up to speed on where we are, I call
> Mikrotik my 'backwards momentum' mover, we have to stop our forward motion
> on building and installing so we can restore service, it takes the fun out
> of this business thats for sure.
>
> Forbes
>

> On 10/14/2010 3:17 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:
>
> Hrm why doesn't Mikrotik work?
> On Oct 14, 2010 6:15 PM, "Forbes Mercy" <forbes.me...@wabroadband.com>
> wrote:
> > In my mission to rid our network of Mikrotik I need to shop for a new
> > bandwidth manager since mine likes to randomly drop one of the ports or
> > bridge, and reset the route gateway (twice already this week). I'm
> > looking for a more friendly windows type based unit, any suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Forbes

Ryan Ghering
Network Operations - Plains.Net
Office: 970-848-0475 - Cell: 970-630-1879