I never ever install any updates automatically, even critical updates.
If you are not running in a virtual environment the recommendation is to do
a backup of the OP system before any updates.  This is for machines which
are not clustered or have a spare.  I have seen too many times where an
update was pulled hours or even a day after it was released due to major
issues with the software.

    There have been ³holy wars² over *nix vs windows vs whatever else over
the years.  My philosophy is use the tool you are most comfortable with.  If
that tool can¹t do the job then you need to learn a different tool or hire
someone who knows it.

    I have seen Windows admins which run a solid and secure ship.  Same for
*nix.  I personally am a mainly Linux guy, but that¹s because it¹s free.  I
have more access to something free.

    We had this discussion in a previous life when I was a network admin for
a large school corporation.  The argument was we paid for support with the
Windows servers.  Instead of spending 2 hours combing the Internet we simply
called Microsoft.  Lots of arguments for both sides.

    Justin
--
Justin Wilson <j...@mtin.net>
Aol & Yahoo IM: j2sw