At 1/15/2011 05:02 PM, Chuck Hogg wrote:
I didn't say that, but it is well known.

I said it, and I stand by it, noting what Chuck said as an example. Even before the federally-funded mapping projects, CK was operating -- it was the prototype for CN -- and it was referring people to BellSouth. I think at the time it was a $20k fee to be listed. $20k for BellSouth, $20k for a tiny local ISP. Sort of a poll tax model. Great for the big guys. But it's not the big guys who need someone to tell the public who provides service where they are.

Second, Connect Kentucky came to me and asked us to be a partner to Connect Kentucky. I said sure, send over the paperwork. It was a minimum $10k to be listed on the associates part. $50k to be a partner. Do they honestly think I can afford either? Guess who was partners? HughesNet, WildBlue, Bellsouth (AT&T), Time Warner, Windstream, Insight... so when a customer in my area called them to see about access, even though I fully cooperated with CK, went to EVERY meeting, provided them with full mapping data and showed them how to use Radio Mobile, they referred them to HughesNet or WildBlue. They knew I had that area covered, it was very blatant, but because I didn't pay them the money, they referred them to an inferior product, satellite service. They were provided with MILLIONS!!! to do mapping for Kentucky. The maps they did were immediately removed and taken offline as soon as their funding ran out. It was done in spite of the Kentucky Government. The TAX PAYERS OWN THAT DATA, and they stole it from us all. Guess what happened another year later? Another company was hired to do THAT EXACT SAME MAPPING again, and yes, they got MILLIONS again.

I tried MULTIPLE times to work with them, and MANY MANY MANY open ended promised were made by them.

None of this is opinion, it's all FACT. Ask MANY MANY MANY people around the US that are under a Connect program. Most will show their displeasure.

Regards,

Chuck

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM, David Hannum <<mailto:oujas...@gmail.com>oujas...@gmail.com> wrote: Chuck said: "It is well known that CN is a marketing and lobbying front for the Bells." I would agree with that it is a well known "opinion" by many on this list. However, from what we've seen, they lobby as much, if not more, for independent companies like most of us are. They lobby for Broadband in general - they don't play favorites at the high level. However, they have some very knowledgible, dedicated wireless guys. And if you work very much with them, you'd see that wireles is all those guys are about.

Dave Hannum
New Era Broadband, LLC

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Fred Goldstein <<mailto:fgoldst...@ionary.com>fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:
At 1/15/2011 08:25 AM, Chuck Hogg wrote:
>You know at the time I saw the email, I was surprised.  However,
>nobody on this list knows about the joke of a deal CN is like Rick and
>I do.  After the millions of dollars in tax revenue and all this
>mapping, that public information was removed from their website.
>Millions of tax paying dollars down the drain.  Because of the
>potential WISPA problems, I won't tell you how I really feel.

I'm not a member (yet) so take that as a disclaimer.  This is the
public forum, not official correspondence.

It is well known that CN is a marketing and lobbying front for the
Bells.  Bob's satire was harmless, reflective of their value to
independent ISPs, wireless and otherwise.  If CN is whinging, let
them, because it hit home.

Bob's contributions have at times been a high point of this
list.  Not everything has to be somber.

 --
 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/