Jon,

I personally like Chucks suggestion... Charging for subsriber count ranges
via tiers, and using the honor system.  It gives WISP an option to pay more,
with the likelihood they will do the right thing, and those with more stake
in the game with more to gain, will havea mechanism enabling to help more
for mutual benefit.

However, I recognize your point, of not wanting to turnoff members. But we
cant ignore there is a clear benefit to having tiers. If concerned about
turning off people by a tiered method, a possible solution is to reduce
number of tiers to fewer, the bare mminimum to address the problem. The
biggest reason for tiers is to never have a dues amount to large that it
prevents some smaller but interested parties from justifying joining, but
yet having Due at a higher rate for most members, in line with what can best
help accomplish the goals the members desire.  A small startup being exposed
to WISPA, might question $500, but likely wouldn't question $250.  But $500
dues is really needed to make a large neough impact. There is jsut as much a
risk of loosing large WISPs as members, because WISPA doesn;t charge enough
to afford to make a large enough impact, and therefore looks less relevent
to the larger WISP. A mechanism must be in place to accommodate both profile
companies..

For example, the Tiers could be just two... $250 for under 100subs, and $500
for over 100.

Another option could be to have a first year discount. Allow Startups to pay
$250, to experience the benefit of WISPA, with the assumption that the
startup needs a year of growth before they are made to put in equal
contribution as other more established WISPs.  And again, because of the
honor system, it could be left up to the applicant to state whether they
considered themselves a startup or not to get a discount.. But even then,
Associate membership might serve the purpose of low cost membership for
startups.

However, I personally believe that the very best way to accomplish WISPA's
revenue goals is the accumulative effort of many. The easiest sell, and
biggest impact could be obtained if every WISPA member stepped up to pay
just a little bit more. As I stated before in this thread....

I beleive the lowest tier WISP Principle membership fee should be $350 (not
250). I beleive all of us should be able to afford $350.  (and if I'm wrong,
the honor system can assist with that). And that alone would raise $30k,
right off the bat.  I feel strongly about that.

So in compromise I think a good dues structure might be....

Assoicate $150
Principle upto 1000subs- $350
Principle over 1000subs- $600

Now if that is not enough revenue, well then I beleive that at this time,
the additional revenue beyond that needs to come from elsewhere.
Preferrably via new membership recruiting. Or additional fund raising
events.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband