At 3/29/2011 01:20 PM, RickG wrote:
I still say there needs to be more than just caps. There needs to be a matrix of billing by priority such as video at .03/meg, file transfer at .02, email at .01, etc. Heck, perhaps HD can be .05 and SD at .03? (Prices are just for arguments sake)

Well, no, there doesn't. Applications are none of the network's business. That's one reason why DPI is evil.

HOWEVER, I am not opposed to appliation-agnostic billing for usage, by QoS. It is perfectly reasonable for a network to charge for usage that imposes a cost. And while the teevee fiends are sure, just certain, that 300 GB/month imposes precisely zero cost on the network, I doubt many WISPs would agree. Especially rural ones who have to pay for backhaul, or who have multi-hop networks.

IP, of course, is one-size-fits-all, with QoS being rare. Hence caps and overage charges are a way to do cost averaging for the majority (since people hate billing for usage), while still hitting the heaviest users. Block pricing (like wireless, having say 10, 50, and 150 GB/month plans, plus overage) also works. And if you go beyond plain old IP and do have a QoS-enabled protocol, then lower-loss or delay-limited (or whatever) traffic should carry a premium. Regardless of what it's used for. Then the applications could adapt to the pricing. This leads towards economic optimization.