Amen. Preach it Brother Marlon.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 10, 2014, at 12:19, "Marlon Schafer (509.982.2181)"
<o...@odessaoffice.com<mailto:o...@odessaoffice.com>> wrote:

I’m with Forrest here.

Back in the “back ol’ days” of everyone running amps (we had to back then in
many cases) some vendors loved to sell more power.  More power means faster
service at longer ranges right?

WRONG.  Carrier to interference level is where your speed and distance comes
from.

The high power systems, as Forrest says, cause the radios to produce much more
*detectable* power outside their main band.  That power outside the main band
causes the interference.

It was always a struggle, but when I used to do interference I convinced many
WISPs that LOWER powers would actually improve the performance of their
networks.  It was nearly 100% true.  In the rare cases when lower power levels
didn’t work it was because people were trying to use higher powers to over-ride
physics and go through trees, buildings etc.

One very important note here.  If you do try lower power levels you’ll have to
lower ALL of the devices back down to reasonable levels (RSSI should be between
–65 and –75 for most modern radios to perform their best, –55 will work but see
the above notes about self inflicted interference....).

A quick check is to shut down all of your AP’s in an area and see what the
noise goes to.

Oh yeah, very few radios really report accurate interference information.  If
you are checking those levels via anything other than a real spectrum analyzer
you’ll likely find out that there are also other things happening in your area.

Call if you’d like and we can talk this out a bit more.

509.988.0260

laters,
marlon