> With all due respect Gary...
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html (look for "I didn't think URLs
> have to be persistent - that was URNs")

I think that document just highlights how inefficient the current
conventions are for ensuring a piece of information will always be
accessible.  I think it also indicates that the most useful and reliable
URI is one that identifies the document in space and time.  Referring back
to Taco's original comment about URL's...... this would not really make
for a "memorable" URL (as it would tend to be mostly made up of date/time
information).  The article even says that date/time is a good place to
start for creating URI's.

The opening sentences in that document says:

"There are no reasons at all in theory for people to change URIs (or stop
maintaining documents), but millions of reasons in practice."

The process is so subjective and every different organisation has it's own
rules on what it will and wont do with URI's (which include both URL's and
URN's).

Saying that Apache as a web server has ways and means to mask all of this
is fine.  Except so many webmasters out there don't even know what their
web server can actually do - or they are hamstrung by internal policies
that dont allow them to use the server effectively.

Again I quote from the article:

"A lot of people don't know that servers such as Apache give you a lot of
control over a flexible relationship between the URI of an object and
where a file which represents it actually is in a file system."

So - in terms of this list and "standards".....  there are some
"standards" out there about what these things are - but a lot of
imagination about how they are are actually being used.

That being the case, then surely therein is the argument for coming up
with a better approach.

I brought up URN's because they are not used very much.

Tim clearly states in the section you mentioned that what people should do
is build a database of URN's that map to the underlying file system.

"Make a database which maps document URN to current filename, and let the
web server use that to actually retrieve files."

And he also states that the tools for doing the above really aren't mature
enough at the moment.

See the section entitled: "We would like to but we just dont have the
right tools".  And I think you will see exactly where my argument was
coming from.

So - I tend to think I am pretty much in agreement with what is being said
there.

Gary Menzel
Web Development Manager
IT Operations Brisbane -+- ABN AMRO Morgans Limited
Level 29, 123 Eagle Street BRISBANE QLD 4000
PH: 07 333 44 828  FX:  07 3834 0828

If this communication is not intended for you and you are not an authorised recipient
of this email you are prohibited by law from dealing with or relying on the email or
any file attachments. This prohibition includes reading, printing, copying,
re-transmitting, disseminating, storing or in any other way dealing or acting in
reliance on the information.  If you have received this email in error, we request you
contact ABN AMRO Morgans Limited immediately by returning the email to [EMAIL
PROTECTED] and destroy the original. We will refund any reasonable costs associated
with notifying ABN AMRO Morgans. This email is confidential and may contain privileged
client information. ABN AMRO Morgans has taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy
and integrity of all its communications, including electronic communications, but
accepts no liability for materials transmitted. Materials may also be transmitted
without the knowledge of ABN AMRO Morgans.  ABN AMRO Morgans Limited its directors and
employees do not accept liability for the results of any actions taken or not on the
basis of the information in this report. ABN AMRO Morgans Limited and its associates
hold or may hold securities in the companies/trusts mentioned herein.  Any
recommendation is made on the basis of our research of the investment and may not suit
the specific requirements of clients.  Assessments of suitability to an individual?s
portfolio can only be made after an examination of the particular client?s
investments, financial circumstances and requirements.