John Penlington
Subject: [WSG] Problem with floated divs in gallery site

But I just cannot find the way to get these thumbnail-caption combinations to align at the *bottom* - rather than the top where they are now.

It's all explained on the test page at:

I've shown the floated divs and the tables layout on the same page for comparison.

Couple of industrial strength options; both of which I've used. One is purely visual - organize the pictures by height.  The pictures seem to come in roughly two heights so group them that way and they will mostly take care of themselves. You may have an odd transitional line from tall to short depending oh how many pictures you have.

The alternative is to pad the pictures.  You've done it for width, just do it for height. It's more complicated but the same principle. You know how tall the tallest thumbnail is going to be. Pad all the pictures to that height. You can split the height and thereby center the pictures, with text at the foot of container,  or pad completely on top and push them all to the "bottom".  This way you can mix and match tall and short.

drew