From: Trusz, Andrew [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 6:59 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [WSG] Problem with floated divs in gallery site

Nick Gleitzman] Problem with floated divs in gallery site

On Thursday, June 24, 2004, at 11:01 PM, Trusz, Andrew wrote:

Couple of industrial strength options; both of which I've used. One is purely visual - organize the pictures by height. .

No good if the client insists their thumbnails are presented in a specific order - which mine (photographers) invariably do.

The alternative is to pad the pictures.

That's what I suggested, but it's a labour-intensive solution, and doesn't help me in coding a dynamic site with 5000+ thumbnails - when the thumbs displayed are a (subset and a) result of a database query. In effect, I have to code a page that will have an unknown number of thumbs, with an unknown mix of horizontal and vertical aspect ratios, in an unknown order. That's why I'm seeking an 'elegant' (ie common and minimum css) solution...

Nick, then use a css table. Nothing wrong with that. It's a reasonable and elegant solution given the circumstances.

drew