The point I was trying to make was that my audience primarily uses IE (as I
dare say, so do most commercial web audiences).  As such, I design my sites
to work first and foremost *for* IE.  The bashing of head against the
proverbial brick wall comes from trying to make my standards-compliant sites
work the same in FF/Opera/NN/Safari as they do in IE.  All of my sites (save
for I think 2), are done in XHTML 1.0 Strict, and I make sure each page
validates, as well as the CSS.  I first make sure the sites look and perform
the way I want in both MSIE 5 and 6.  After that is successful, I then start
testing in the other browsers.  For other sites (personal, concept, etc.), I
worry about IE last, because most of my friends and colleagues use more
standards compliant browsers.  While I do know ECMA-262 (Javascript), I hate
using it.  I can develop much quicker just using a pure markup+css approach,
and have no need for scripting.  I hope that makes my original post clearer.
In no way did I think Mordechai was suggesting an ignoring an IE, but was
asking why style to IE specifically, and I was just giving the rationale for
doing so.
Cheers :)

Collin Davis
Web Architect