Mordechai Pellar wrote:

>>So you limit yourself to what NN4.x and can handle? It was NN4.x and
>>older browsers that the phrase "unstyled or lightly styled" was
>>directed, unless you consider CSS dumb down to IE standards (admittedly,
>>that usually amounts to no more than a slight margin, but a margin, none
>>the less) to be "lightly styled."

I misinterpreted your meaning on that statement.  What I was leaning towards
was, for example, using something like :hover on attributes other than a
tags, or using Javascript to simulate a :hover effect.  Since IE doesn't
recognize :hover apart from anchor tags, I only use :hover on anchor tags.

>> And if that architect happens to be using NN4.x?

I go through our statistics every Monday, and also print out a copy to hand
to our owner.  In the two years I've worked here, I believe I've seen a
version of NN other than 7 once.  However, if NN4.x was the predominant
browser being used to access our sites, I would definitely design and code
in such a way that it would work exactly like I wanted in NN4.x.

>>There is nothing "filthy" about pursuit of profit, unless you see its
>>pursuit as an end onto itself.  While this could lead to a fascinating
>>discussion of philosophy and ethics, I'm afraid it's also a bit off topic.

My poor attempt at humor, and flashbacks to a fundamental upbringing, and
yes, completely off topic, however, making the point that for commercial
sites, it's 100% about making money, not about perfect, compliant code. :)

>>And ignore standards by writing IE proprietary code? Somehow, I would
>>guess not; otherwise you probably wouldn't be a member of this list.

I think I was misunderstood here.  I don't use any IE proprietary code at
all, nor do I use "hacks".  Rather, my point was that I style first and
foremost for IE, not for FF/Opera/NN/Safari/etc.

Cheers,

Collin Davis
Web Architect
Stromberg Architectural Products