Good Day everyone:

I have been doing the annual maintenance/update of a Holiday Home letting
site I've had for a few years, so this year I attempted to convert it all to
standards. It is now XHTML1 /CSS and most of it validates. (I say most
because there is a bit of Flash and some of it uses frames). I have kept a
couple of 'naughty' tables (as yet) because I simply haven't managed to
convert to a stable/reliable alternative, but overall I was quite pleased
with it.

Anyway, as I had recently installed Firefox on the PC's in the office of
this holiday business, I decided to show the owner how wonderful the update
was [ :-) ]. I explained about standards to this (non-technical) person and,
using  Firefox developer's toolbar, I showed her the abysmal results of
validating the sites of her competitors, and she was obviously pleased. She
seemed to understand the basis of 'standards', but after a few minutes
reflection she said:

"I can appreciate that I am getting a 'quality' product, but from a
practical point of view, what am I getting that improves my business?  As
far as visitors to my site are concerned there seems to be no advantage -
after all, my competitor's sites may well be outdated, but they do actually
WORK, so my customers don't see any benefit."

Thought I'd pass this on . . .

:-)

Bob McClelland,
Cornwall (U.K.)