Ok, maybe I'm being lazy, I'm googling for a good tutorial or exemples on the subject, and all I find is theory, so here it goes:

I recently got a job as a web designer in a company whose site has previous decades markup.
Apart from that I do all the companys graphic work, so time is short.
The site has a ancient php seach engine, with a quite large data base, and the rest seams more like php output saved by the browser.
It has tags for marqees, atributes like blink, links inside a flash movie, lots of heavy animated gifs, a script running at the status bar, an interface completly unrecomended for epileptic users well, I think you can imagine, or visit it at:
http://www.ocean-wings.com/

The site is updated every day, since new models como in all the time, and has a quite large and loyal audience, wich by the stats includes users with FF, IE 5 to 6, IE ad Safari on mac (actually not bad at all).

The updates are made directly on the markup, update dates are written by hand and the data base is updated separatly, so not only the error risk is significant, but also tasks are unnecessarilly repeated.

Such a heavy site is running on frames witch makes all the sense, and some deeper links use the target attribute.

I intend to rewrite the site completly to simplify the updating tasks and to make the site faster, more relyable, usable and accessible.
I also intend to do in in standards mode.
The company intends to keep the look and feel of the site, for it has already a very good emotional boundage with the users, so layout changes should be minimum, only to permit some features they intend to offer, like automatic alerts on updated items for subscription users.

Since time is a short resource, my idea is to do it in two fases, in my spare time:
First rewriting the site as a template in decent code, then turning it into php buiding a new database and using the template as an output container.

So now I'm looking for a doctype I can use to include a frameset and target attributes in xhtml strict mode (not only to trigger standards mode, but also for me to be able to track any markup error).
And I'm rulling out transitional doctypes as an option.
W3C presents a lot of information on extending xhtml, but nothing I can learn or understand in a quick way.
There are also several discussions over the matter on very good blogs, but all I need right now is an example doctype, or a tutorial, on how to extend XHTML strict to include frameset and target external modules, and I cannot find one.

Can some of you folks help me, please?
Thank you, best regards,

Isabel Santos