But I think the best option is to completely disable the target attribute to prevent the author from interfering with your decision and make it yourself, every single time. You cannot possibly rely on the author to make the right decision for you, because every user is different.

Superficially, I agree with you, it is better to let the user decide [see also the PDF content-type threads]. However in practice, it is not sensible to assume that a user will be able to configure their browser, or even to make an intelligent decision on which types of links should behave in particular ways. It would be like arguing not to send impoverished farmers a plough, but to send them wood, metal and an angle-grinder to let them optimize the product for their soil. [p.s. I know it's a slightly flawed analogy but I think it gets my point across]

Unless every user to your site is a geek, you have to assume that 90% of visitors will not be aware of User Style-sheets or even what a style-sheet(Bed linen made of silk?) is.

Interestingly, I have been involved in a similar argument wrt. GIMP development, GIMP is very difficult to use in MS Windows because of all the windows it creates that have to interact with each other. The Die-Hard Unix Hax0rs say that this is correct and the application [Insert relevant application] should leave all the window management up to the window manager, and if the Windows XP window manager isn't good enough, then switch to Linux. The more down-to-earth MS Windows users on the list were arguing that they're stuck with a crappy Window Manager so perhaps the Hax0rs might be a bit more understanding.

Perhaps we need browsers with easy settings allowing you to over-ride the site-specific link behaviors, this way, authors could suggest a default action for a link and then people who passionately care about their windows can override it, result; everyone happy. This must be a fairly simple thing to implement, no? IIRC, Firefox already has an 'open all windows as new tab' option somewhere,

Stephen