On 04-Jul-07, at 9:29 PM, Sander Aarts wrote:
Angel Martin Alganza schreef:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 10:19:51PM +0200, Sander Aarts wrote:
I alway make skip links to all major parts of the page, being the different levels of navigation, main content, sub content (side bar) and sometimes even the breadcrumb if it's not to close to the skip link menu. I place the links in order of importance (content first and then navigation).
Don't you need a "skip 'skip links' link", then? :-)

No, because then you'd probably want a "skip 'skip "skip links" link' link" as well ;-) As I said in another post in this thread I start with linking to the content and then I link to the various types and levels of navigation in order of importance. That way users can skip the skip menu quite soon (I'd say as soon as with a more regular "skip to"- navigation).

Weighing in rather late to this discussion; hopefully this is still relevant. I think Maxdesign had a study on skip links [1] and the benefits to visually challenged users a while ago. I found the presentation rather useful, because it challenged some of my own assumptions as to how visually challenged users interact with websites. The gist of it was that 'skip to' links were perhaps less useful than structural headings, though I read through the presentation far too long ago for that to be a good summary.

Best,
 - Rahul.

[1] http://www.usability.com.au/resources/ozewai2005/