Hi Rob.

I 'was' in the same shoes as you. I have previous experience
developing with PHP and
using Objects and Classes so i had a head start but i still found it
tough. Here is what i
did and what i am still doing.

I started by watching the Videos on yahoo, Crockford has some great ones!

I then went and got the up to date version of Orielly's book
'Javascript - The definitive
guide', Crockford also recommended this book and its ace!

To make the learning process quicker, i got myself Orielly's pocket
reference and read that
whenever i had a free moment (on the bus, break times at college, bed
times, whilst eating)

Im not at the stage where i can confidently put together complex
applications with JS
but i know how to use all the datatypes and the advanced OO topics.

Just today actually i went and got the 'Dom Scripting' book published
by friendsoft.

You just need to learn, practice, learn, practice and learn more, non
stop. I had the same
problem with CSS and HTML, once i started using it on a daily basis
and practicing and
running various trial and errors i became almost fluent.

Go for it! And don't be afraid to ask questions.

James

Ps. Get David Flannigans book, JSTDG.