From: Nick Fitzsimons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Sent: Thursday, 15 November, 2007 10:34:09 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Idiot's guide to JavaScript

On 14 Nov 2007, at 22:56, Lars Michael Sørensen wrote:

> I recommend http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/ - they have a lot of
> other tutorials as well. Very easy to follow, all the way through.

I would recommend avoiding that tutorial - it teaches some techniques
which should never be used by anybody with an interest in making
usable and accessible sites. Generally speaking it will get you to
the level we were at when Netscape Navigator 3 was the target
browser, which was over ten years ago. There are much better
techniques available for modern scripting.

I would recommend (in no particular order - look through them in a
shop and pick an author whose style you like): "DOM Scripting" by
Jeremy Keith, "ppk on JavaScript" by Peter-Paul Koch, David
Flanagan's "JavaScript: The Definitive Guide" and Chris Heilmann's
"Beginning JavaScript with DOM Scripting and Ajax".

Also, Chris H has an online course at <http://onlinetools.org/
articles/unobtrusivejavascript/> which will help you unlearn the bad
things learnt from the tiza.com tutorial ;-).

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons