> I don't think theres any rules about the length of definitions?

You are correct sir.

A definition list implies to me the expansion of a term through
definition. If anything that means the more text the better! I just
noticed that Tim's list includes numbering... This means there could
be some kind of ordering involved. Also, the quotes around his
definitions imply some kind of citation.

Perhaps something more like this:

<ul>
<li>
<dl>
        <dt>Pursuit of customer satisfaction</dt>
</dl>
</li>
</ul>

But that is a lot of extra guff. Perhaps it could be as simple as:

<ul>
<li>
       <h2>Pursuit of customer satisfaction</h2>
       <q>"Quote..."</q>
</li>
</ul>

Like Steve says, each list item would not be read out (I believe even
the numbering) by a screenreader. Use of headers would probably be
more useful.

Karl