I agree, this is not web standards. However remember they could be following
web standards with their CSS version.

and I don't think it is just in the UK, it is every where for Vodafone.
Which not only defies any effort you made to put the thing together for
presentation standards as well.

I think it is their solution to controlling the user experience on handset side
of things when someone accesses mobile web.

Why don't they let the community sought it out?
It seems now that if standards are to be effective in the mobile access space,
there is now another hump to get an open standard.

William