-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Michael MD
Sent: 25 June 2008 11:10
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: RE: [WSG] Mobile phone support of CSS

> I agree, this is not web standards. However remember they could be
> following web standards with their CSS version.
>
> and I don't think it is just in the UK, it is every where for Vodafone.
> Which not only defies any effort you made to put the thing together
> for presentation standards as well.
>
> I think it is their solution to controlling the user experience on
> handset side of things when someone accesses mobile web.
>
> Why don't they let the community sought it out?
> It seems now that if standards are to be effective in the mobile
> access space, there is now another hump to get an open standard.

are they doing this for all sites on all types of phones....
or only changing it if the phone's browser can't handle the original
format/doctype/css/etc

The latter is nothing new...
Google has been doing it for years for pages linked from mobile search
results allowing even ancient phones to browse pages they would not
otherwise be able to look at.
(ie making them accessible!)

I believe that they are changing all types of phones. I have a sony ericcson
k800i and it modifies the pages on that unless I go in the vodafone account
settings and switch it off. It works fine without it!

The Novarra proxy is over-riding the handheld stylesheet when I visit my
website. This is because my site will deliver the standard stylesheet as it
detects Novarra's user agent and not my mobile's. So it affects any site
regardless if they are already mobile friendly!

Darren Lovelock
Munky Online Web Design
http://www.munkyonline.co.uk
T: +44 (0)20-8816-8893