with respect to both sides here, I have had numerous clients come to me
requesting Contribute as a solution. I would say the reason, in every case
i believe, is the cost. It's a 1 time fee of $99. I imagine, that if you
can offer something comparable or cheaper to them, they would appreciate
the  recommendation and scrap Contribute if the other product(s) worked
better, were easier to maintain and implement, etc.

I would guess here that the client isn't dictating technology, but budget
for CMS. I mean, what are the chances they've used a bunch of solutions,
and settled that Contribute is the best and meets their workflow?

My recommendation is to try something like http://www.cushycms.com/ which
is also free and is a hosted solution. I've used this with pretty good
success. It's not without it's limitation, but it's extremely easy to use
and met the needs of one of my clients. You obviously could go with a more
common solution like Expression Engine, or Wordpress, etc.

I would find out why your client wants to use Contribute, and if you'd
rather not use it, then your job is to find something comparable or better
(hopefully for the same cost or less) and state your case.