From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org] On
Behalf Of "G.Sørtun"
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:14 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] HTML5 v. HTML 4.x

> Could someone please clarify this for me. I realise that HTML5 has
> introduced new semantic elements such as <header>, <aside> etc., but
> does this really increase the expressive power of the markup? Can't
> the same thing be achieved in HTML 4.x using classes (e.g. <p
> class="header">)?
>
> I am reluctant to move to HTML5 due to the issue of backwards
> compatibility.

If you're just switching doctype - for a start - there aren't any
backwards compatibility issues.

After all: "the new, short, HTML 5 DOCTYPE is introduced because they
needed a compact mode-switch – and for no other reason. Good browsers
still don't need it, but IE sure does."
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_34.html>

Unless you really need any of the new elements right now, it makes sense
to just switch to HTML 5 doctype and relax on all else - including
backwards compatibility - until the time seems right ... in a few years
time.

regards
         Georg