To the best of my knowledge, all screen readers will 'accept' the new
tags insofar as they will read the content between the tags. They just
won't do anything with the tags themselves.

________________________________

From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org]
On Behalf Of Ted Drake
Sent: 26 January 2011 18:43
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] HTML5 v. HTML 4.x

Hi Steve

Can you give some links to research that back up this statement? As far
as I know, the screen readers will accept the new tags when you are
using something other than Internet Explorer. However, the question is
what they do with them. You cannot navigate via articles  like you'd use
the header navigation. But it's not going to skip an article.

The biggest problems with HTML5 accessibility are: repeated h1 headers,
longdesc attribute being deprecated, captioning, and placing text within
the canvas. At one time there was a conflict when  combining ARIA
landmarks with the new elements. But this is no longer a problem as the
screen reader software was fixed.

Ted

On 1/25/11 12:34 AM, "Steve Green" <steve.gr...@testpartners.co.uk>